I started designing exhibits long before social media was a thing, we didn't even have individual e-mail addresses where I was working when I first started. I've worked on many projects that went into fundraising after the design was complete that still haven't come to fruition. As I started working on my portfolio a few years ago, and then this blog more recently, I've noticed that a few of my renderings are out there online and always unattributed. I also found some past projects are moving forward incrementally. I wanted to have a place to share some of these but really didn't want to create a "news" page that was one more thing to update in addition to the blog. From time to time I also want to post little bits about current projects that have online visibility press but can't be a full blown post just yet. So that is what I'm creating here.
I'm going to start with something newer. Recently I got to work on the creative design and interpretive strategy development for the interior treatment of a hospital renovation. The design strategy is based on the principles of Evidence Based Design and creating visually rich and textured environments with positive distractions to promote better healing. You can read about the project in-depth at the link below.
There was a point in the early stages of this project where the foundation behind it had my rendering as their Facebook cover page, I was so excited - this was the first time in my career (that I know of) that one of my renderings was a Facebook cover other then my own!
Back in 2015 I worked on some very early designs for new interpretive exhibits at the Liberty State Park Nature Center. This center has been closed since hurricane Sandy flooded the building, originally designed by Michael Graves. I haven't had any contact with the project since June of that summer and I assumed many of my early sketches had been replaced but I was surprised to see at least one for an interactive mural in this Green Oasis newsletter announcing progress at the site:
Another project I did Design Development on in 2011/12 has been moving forward in phases in Westchester, NY. The Weschester Children's Museum located at the Rye Playland installed some exhibits in the summer of 2015, like the Toddler Beach exhibit. There's a lot of great photos of this exhibit online featured in many parenting blogs, this one below is one of my favorites that comes up in a Google search but I can't seem to find out where it's from to give credit.
What got built was quite as elaborate as the design drawings but many of the key elements are there and from the photos online it seems like kids are enjoying it!
I found out that these exhibits had been installed when I went to specify the same foam furniture for another project. I was excited to see this project is moving forward with the water play exhibits I spent many hours doing design development on. You can see my renderings of the water play exhibits and the climbing structure on the museum's page here:
The last project I'm going to talk about this week is one I worked on a master plan for back in 2007. At that point the project was envisioned as a new museum building to interpret the Historic Savannah River Site. The site was once part of an elaborate network of facilities responsible for manufacturing the United States Nuclear arsenal during the cold war. The interpretive story lines for this project were great, rich in cultural history, science, secrecy and espionage. There were multiple sites like this during the cold-war that made parts of weapons, no one site made all the parts to any one weapon. The parts were all shipped to assembly sites that didn't have any part in the manufacturing process. It's a very interesting story and one i was excited to work on, in fact I go so excited that took the initiative to really run with some ideas that later didn't make the final master plan. It turns out the museum is moving forward but will be housed in an existing building. You can read about in the SRS Heritage Foundation's newsletter from Spring 2016 below which features a content bubble diagram I worked on:
Below are some renderings and presentations I worked on that didn't make the final cut. I always liked these renderings because these were for me done at a point where I'd been rendering with computer software for many years and wanted to try to return to more hand-drawing. These are the first renderings I've done that combine CAD and Photoshop underlays with hand-drawing. It's a style I continue to work on and refine.
As I move forward with the main blog posts most of these projects will get their own featured posts with more details about process and design. As a move chronologically though these will be much farther down the road. I will be back in another week or 2 with the next blog post, I'm not returning to 1999 just yet, I have a brand new project recently opened that I want to share.